Each of our programmes shows very tangible impacts for poor urban residents
Housing for All:
- Almost 6,000 residential plots being developed, benefitting 6,000 families
- Assisting 15 towns to get informal settlement growth under control
Play for All:
- 282 ECD centres (Kindergartens) being supported
- More than 10,000 children received improved ECD assistance over the last 3 years
- More than 5,000 toilets built as a result of the programme;
- 13 residential blocks in informal settlements declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) through the programme, creating a healthier environment for more than 68,000 residents.
- EUR 3 million secured by DWN and being invested into bulk infrastructure in 4 towns during 2023 and 2024, benefitting more than 10,000 poor urban residents in the short term, and many more in the long term.
Land & Housing
- Location and number of new residential areas developed by DWN
- Status of development of the new residential area
- Number of plots sold
- Status of house construction on each sold plot
- Number of households visited by our volunteers
- Number of toilets built by residents themselves as a result of our intervention
- Number, location and boundaries of informal settlement areas that become Open Defecation Free (ODF)
Early Childhood Development
- Location of each ECD centre that we work with
- Key information on each centre, including: number of children; status of sanitation facilities; assistance provided by DWN and others
Benefits of such a GIS based impact monitoring system:
- Integrated information flows: Data is collected with cell phone apps in the field and directly uploaded on central databases. An in-house GIS officer monitors data integrity.
- Management support: The continuously updated online GIS provides staff easy access to relevant information to support effective monitoring, analysis and decision-making.
- Transparency: Public access of project interventions and results through the online information hub allows donors a unique opportunity to appreciate the scale and impact of the programme interventions.
ON THE STRUCTURAL/NATIONAL LEVEL
We also closely monitor the broader impact our activities have to contributing to changes in legislation, policy or government programmes.
Land & Housing: Our intervention in Namibia contributed to the fact that the provision of affordable residential land became a national priority and is now explicitly stated in the President’s 5 year development plan ‘Harambee Prosperity Plan II’.
Sanitation: Our work on sanitation together with partner UNICEF contributed to the fact that our approach ‘’Community Led Total Sanitation’’ is now officially endorsed and supported by government, and also explicitly stated in ‘Harambee Prosperity Plan II’.